Sunday, September 25, 2011

HENRY BAMFORD'S Assignment 3 Question 1

When Gene and Finny were at the beach, Finny tells his true feelings about their friendship. “...Best pal... which is what you (Gene) are.” (Knowles 48). Gene responds with nothing, and later says to the reader, “I should have told him (Finny) he was my best friend also and rounded off what he had said. I started to; I nearly did. But something held me back. Perhaps I was stopped by that level of feeling, deeper than thought, which contains the truth.” (Knowles 48). The truth that Gene is referring to is the fact that, to Gene, they aren't best friends. Gene's jealousy of Finny is to great for Gene to say that they are best pals. In the past reading, his emotions about Finny's shadow have been shown because of Finny's ability to charm everyone. Now, Gene seems to have snapped. The rapid decline of Gene's tolerance of Finny will lead to their friendship permanently ending.

1 comment:

  1. Bamford,
    I agree with your statement that the rivalry between Finny and Gene will be the downfall of their friendship and positive relationship with each other. While I have strongly advocated the positive benefits of competition in our classroom discussions, I believe that once hate and destructive actions become involved, it becomes not a matter of competition, but a matter of demolition of trust and friendship. If the manner in which Finny and Gene are treating each other is sustained, then both will see dramatic decreases in their own confidence and self pride, as well as academics and athletics.

    ReplyDelete